Monday, March 25, 2013

Happy Monday



This week I have a list of ten things that are better to do than think about that one time when you were married.

1. Go buy yourself a fancy salad, a box of Lucky Charms, a gourmet burger, or something equally as affordable yet frivolous. Eat it with gusto.

2. Wink at the cute grocery checker, shamelessly. 

3. The next time someone asks you about your ex, pretend you're wearing giant Audrey Hepburn sunglasses, rockin a ridiculously long strand of pearls and smoking one of those long, slender cigarettes, then say in your best English accent, "Oh, darling, that was my first husband."

4. Next time you are alone in your car, scream at the top of your lungs. It can be a word or a phrase or just a scream. There was a lot of this going on in June Bug (my sweet ride) last December between my nanny jobs. I can attest to its effectiveness. 

5. Remind yourself of the mood elevating properties of very good chocolate. We're not talking Hershey's. Say it with me - Godiva.

6. Hang out with a kid. A happy one. If you can't find a happy kid, watch the video linked in "Chin Up, Buttercup" above that's made by a kid. 

7. Get a professional massage. If you can't afford a massage, get one from a student clinic in the area in which you live. Sometimes these clinics can be just as good, if not better, than someone you google, and they're usually about half price.

8. Watch your favorite trilogy all in one night. Star Wars, Back to the Future, Indiana Jones, or just choose your favorite three Wes Anderson films. You really can't go wrong. 

9. Think of your least favorite memory of your mother-in-law for three solid minutes. Then open your eyes and realize that never has to happen again. : )

10. Hug someone you don't know. Don't say anything. Just hug, smile, and walk away. 

See? You feel better already : )

3 comments:

  1. These tips are amazing! I can distinctly remember doing every single one after my divorce. There is something so therapeutic in experiencing each of the emotions brought on through this list. Thank you for posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. I'm glad it resonated with you : )

      Delete
  2. I really like #4! I think frequently about how I just need to scream at the top of my lungs, but where does one go to do such a thing without terrifying people?
    Also, #9 is good. I never met my mother-in-law because she died years ago, but I feel great joy in knowing I never have to face his awful family again and try to make sense of their interactions and find a way to fit in without really wanting to fit in with such people.

    ReplyDelete